Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Being Awkward

Being awkward can make you a target for bullying.
Being different, than, was a crime, but being different now, gets us a week, a month, sometimes there is even a parade
I grew up accepting the fact that I am different
I learn differently, I speak differently, I laugh different
And I dress different
Back than I did not care, and today, I don't care how different I dress
I was bullied because I was different
And even though it never hurt me as bad as it has hurt others
I already had low self-esteem as a child, being set apart from my friends did not make it easier
Being slow in class, walking funny, and going to the resource room with everyone burning holes in your back watching the loser go to the room where the special kids got their work done
I was picked on because I was short, shy, and never spoke back
I was always the girl who either sat by herself
I was the girl in the corner
But now I am the girl backing you in the corner
For making me feel less than, and unequal too
I made not have been great at math, but I know what it means to be a remainder
I became important when I put the pen to paper

I may have been awkward, but that is just who I am
I might make jokes that are not funny, I may confuse you in a conversation
I may stay silent because I feel like I cannot contribute
So if that is the reason why you made fun of me
Because I was different
Because I came from a different town, ate strange foods, spoke in a language unfamiliar to you
And came from a country that is in a much better place than ours is
Than you are more messed up than I thought.
I respected you because that is what my parents taught me
I tolerated you because that is what I had to do when you laughed at me as I walked down the hall
Responding to your ignorant ways would only boost your confidence
I am proud to be an awkward person because it sets me apart from people like you
And I refuse to let my self be taunted by people who are still ashamed to walk the streets proud
I am proud, and I will not step down, I will step up

Signed:
TheFabChick

No comments:

Post a Comment